Monday, 5 March 2007

Tags and labels

One of the key features of blogs is the ability to tag your posts according to subject. On Blogger tags are called labels. You can add as many labels as you want to each blog posting, reflecting its content.

So why is this such a good feature? I'm a librarian, so adding tags or labels appeals to my cataloguing side! But what about the non-librarians among us? Why might you find it useful? A few ideas:
  • At the moment I only have a few posts on my blog, but imagine what it might look like in a couple of years if I continue to post as regularly as I am at the moment. It would be quite difficult to find a particular posting unless you could remember the exact date on which I put it on the blog. But if I add tags/labels it will be possible to narrow this down by just searching within my postings about Web 2.0 technologies.
  • If I set up a personal blog, I could have different tags for each of my hobbies. So people interested in Australian soap operas could click on the relevant tag/label and just see my postings about Neighbours, while those interested in cake recipes could avoid too many references to Harold Bishop by selecting my cake recipes tag/label.
  • And don't forget, I can add as many tags/labels as I want to each blog posting, so if a particular day's subject involves Harold Bishop baking cakes the posting can be searched for under both tags/labels.
  • Similarly, someone using a blog for their studies will be able to separate the postings about medieval history from the postings about the American Civil War, which makes it a much more useable tool.
  • And anyone coming across my blog for the first time will be able to see my range of tags (I've added them to the right-hand-side of the blog) and decide whether they are interested in reading further.

I've started adding tags to my posts - so far there aren't many, but you get the idea. What do you think?