Thursday, 1 March 2007

LibraryThing

Have any of you come across LibraryThing: http://www.librarything.com/ ?

Ok, I'm a librarian, so maybe these things aren't as interesting to non-library people. But I think it looks amazing. Basically it's an online tool which allows people to catalogue their books and organise their collections. But in addition it's a social networking tool: you can look at other people's libraries, you can type in a title and find out what else people who own that book have read, you can swap recommendations, you can add tags to help you sort your collections, .... and of course, you can buy the T-shirt (or the mug, or the tote bag).

I'm really tempted to sign up for life - $25 doesn't seem all that much, but then again I spend a lot of time during the day cataloguing books, so maybe I just wouldn't get around to using it.

Oh, and LibraryThing has its own blog at http://www.librarything.com/blog/, and also apparently allows you to add a changing selection of your LibraryThing books to your own blog, although I haven't quite figured that out yet.