Wednesday, 14 February 2007

Discussion boards

Hi

I've been logging into the SLE102 discussion boards for the past few days to see whether anyone has plucked up the courage to post to them - and I'm really pleased that a few messages have started to appear. It can be really intimidating to make that first post, when you're not sure who might read it. It's worth noting that Blackboard and WebCT offer closed discussion boards, so only course members and tutors can see what is posted there, and it's also worth remembering that everyone else feels a bit nervous too!

It's like that first day at university: I was convinced that everyone else was much more confident than me and had loads of friends already, but in fact we were all in the same boat! And once we'd started talking to each other we realised that we had things in common, and started to make friends. It's a bit different online, I know: you can't see your audience. But that can help too... it means that you have time to think about what you want to say and check it over before you press post, or publish, or send.

To be honest I don't even find this blog as scary as I thought it would be.... and I have no idea who might be reading!

Rachel